Teenage bomber narrates how she was recruited by Boko Haram

Teenage bomber narrates how she was recruited by Boko Haram

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 7:22 pm


*Zahra’u in a shocking narrative says her parents took her to Boko Haram

Zahra'u Babangida: the Kano female bomber

Zahra’u Babangida: the Kano female bomber

A 14-year-old Nigerian girl who was arrested with explosives strapped to her body told journalists Wednesday that her parents volunteered her to take part in a suicide attack.

The girl, who was identified as Zahra’u Babangida, was arrested in Kano on December 10 following a double suicide bombing at the Kanti Kwari market that killed 10 people. Police had earlier denied arresting any female bomber after the arrest was reported.

Zahra’u was presented to journalists by police and instructed to recount how Islamist militants allegedly forced her to take part in the attack.

She said her mother and father, both Boko Haram sympathisers, took her to an insurgent hideout in a forest near the town of Gidan Zana in Kano state.

She said one alleged militant leader asked her whether she knew what a suicide bombing was.

“They said, ‘Can you do it?’ I said no.

“They said, ‘You will go to heaven if you do it.’ I said ‘No I can’t.’ They said they would shoot me or throw me into a dungeon,” Zahra’u told journalists.

There was no way to independently verify her story and she had no lawyer present. No information was available concerning the whereabouts of her parents.

Police said they had instructed the girl to tell her story to boost public awareness about those responsible for the December 10 attack.

Faced with the threat of death, Zahra’u said she finally agreed to take part in the attack but “never had any intention of doing it.”

Several days later, Zahra’u said, she and three other girls, all wearing explosives, were brought to the Kantin Kwari market by unidentified men.

Zahra’u said she was injured when one of the girls detonated her bomb and then she fled the scene, ending up at a hospital on the outskirts of Kano where she was discovered to be carrying explosives.

The Confession
She said her mother and father, both Boko Haram sympathisers, took her to an insurgent hideout in a forest near the town of Gidan Zana in Kano state. She said one alleged militant leader asked her whether she knew what a suicide bombing was. “They said, ‘Can you do it?’ I said no.
“They said, ‘You will go to heaven if you do it.’ I said ‘No I can’t.’ They said they would shoot me or throw me into a dungeon,” Zahra’u told journalists.

Boko Haram has increasingly used female suicide bombers, including teenagers, as part of their five-year insurgency.

Kano, the largest city in the mainly Muslim north, saw four such attacks in one week in July, while similar bombings have hit the states of Bauchi and Niger.

File photo: a suspected bomber arrested in Kaduna by the police

File photo: a suspected bomber arrested in Kaduna by the police

Experts say the group has used girls as bombers to demonstrate the range of tactics they have available to sow fear across Nigeria.

If confirmed, Zahra’u’s story would be the first known case of parents volunteering their daughter to take part in a deadly attack.

Violence in northern Nigeria has intensified in recent months, raising security fears ahead of February 14 elections.

The Police Command in Kano had earlier confirmed the arrest to newsmen.

The Police Commissioner in the state, Mr Aderenle Shinaba also said the police had apprehended one of the people, who brought the girl to Kano from Bauchi.

Shinaba said the vehicle in which they brought the girl from Bauchi was now with security agents.

He said the girl was arrested at one of the hospitals in Kano, where she went to seek for medical treatment, following injuries after the blast.

The commissioner said seven explosives and power source were recovered from the bomber.

Shinaba, who called for the support and cooperation of the public, assured that the police would treat information given to it with confidentiality.

He commend residents for their support and cooperation to security operatives in the state.

“’We will encourage people to work with us to ensure that peace prevailed in the state,’’ he added.

Loading...

Join The Conversation

3 Comments

  • Femi says:

    The photo of the battered and bloodied head of a dead girl is totally disgusting and its usage in this article adds no value whatsoever to the story. I’m shocked that a reputable outfit like The News would publish this. My stomach is revolting and I really regret clicking on this link. At the end of the day, there is no independent verification of the so-called “confession,” anyway. Not only did not I gain anything from this story, I have lost my appetite for the rest of the day … and it’s only morning in my part of the world!

    • bayuse says:

      Our apology for the repulsing photo. You can only imagine the gruesome horror our people go through daily in the hands of these murderous barbarians called Boko Haram. And sometimes editors want to use the ‘shock effect’ to drum the point home. Have a pleasant day.

  • New Nigerian says:

    The photo of the suspected bomber in Kaduna state shows that of a boy cross-dressing as a girl huh?!!!

  • Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.