Wednesday, August 19, 2015 11:06 am
The Nigerian army said it could not confirm the alleged drowning or massacre of 150 villagers of Kukuwa- Gari, in Yobe state, North east of Nigeria.
The villagers reportedly died while escaping from Boko Haram attackers on Monday.
In a tweet by Army Headquarters this morning, the military authorities said the report could not be ‘substantiated’.
The army however said its men have carried out surveillance and armed reconnaissance in Damask area of Borno state, following distressed calls about suspected movements and planned attack by Boko Haram men. Damask had been repeatedly attacked by Boko Haram terrorists in the past.
”Nigerian Air Force conducted air surveillance and armed reconnaissance, while ground troops were reinforced”, according to a statement issued this morning.
The army announced the arrest of 2 Boko Haram suspects, with pick up vans in Geidam in Yobe state.
The men are now being interrogated, it said.