Friday, January 29, 2016 7:52 pm
President Muhammadu Buhari restated on Friday in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia that Nigerian troops have degraded Boko Haram capacity to conduct conventional attacks, adding that the militants are now in hideouts inside Sambisa Forest.
The President spoke at a high level meeting of the African Union, adding:
“As at now, there is no single Nigerian territory under the control of the insurgents other than their hideouts in Sambisa Forest.
“Displaced persons (IDPs) are now being resettled in their respective homes.
“This feat totally accords with our promise to Nigerians to rid the country of terrorism and extremism within few months of our assumption of office.
“Our efforts are already yielding dividends and we will not relent until the terrorist groups are totally decimated and wiped out of our country and sub-region,” he declared.
Buhari also promised that Nigeria will fully redeem its pledge of $100 Million for the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) to enhance the operations of the Task Force against Boko Haram. He said that having already released $21 Million to the task force in June last year, Nigeria will remit the balance of $79 Million very soon.
President Buhari also assured the Council that Boko Haram’s capacity to conduct conventional attacks has been “heavily degraded”.
The President also reaffirmed Nigeria’s readiness to support measures to end the conflicts in Burundi and South Sudan, including the proposed deployment of troops by the AU to Burundi.
“Let me re-iterate Nigeria’s deep commitment to ensuring durable peace, stability and security on our continent.
“Without peace, there will be no development. It is therefore vital for all of us to join hands in taking appropriate measures to end the conflicts and bring a stop to the incalculable damage being inflicted on innocent citizens in the affected countries,” the President told participants at the meeting.