YouWin awardees threaten hunger strike, appeal to Buhari

YouWin awardees threaten hunger strike, appeal to Buhari

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 6:17 pm


The first batch of You Win awardees with Ngozi Okonjo Iweala in 2013

The first batch of You Win awardees with Ngozi Okonjo Iweala in 2013

About 1,500 Nigerians who won business grants  under the Third Edition of the innovative Youwin Program, launched by the Jonathan administration are threatening to embark on hunger strike, public protest and occupation of the Federal Ministry of Finance, if government fails to meet their demands.

The awardees said they have been left in the cold, since the change of government, as government has failed to fulfil the financial assistance promised them to fulfil their business plans.

In a statement, the awardees said the second and third instalments of their  grants  ranging from N1, 000,000 to N10, 000,000, are now trapped in the Central Bank, with the implementation of the Treasury Single Account, by the Buhari administration.

They said the denial of the funding has disrupted their business plans and risks throwing  4500 people back into the labour market.

Now Grouped as ‘YouWin 3 Awardees’, the business award winners are appealing to the Finance Minister, Kemi Adeosun and President Muhammadu Buhari to come to their rescue. They last received money nine months ago after  the signing of legal agreements with the Ministry of Finance, said Adindueme Hans, who signed on behalf of the group.

The Youwin program was aimed at empowering Nigerian  youths to start businesses and create Job Opportunities. The program  has helped 3,900 youths to become self employed and employers of Labour,  creating over 22,000 jobs in the three editions done so far.

Hans said if the government fails to approve money for them in the next 14 days, they will stage a public protest and occupy  the Federal Ministry of Finance. They also plan to embark on  hunger strike until their demands are met by government.

“We will never allow our businesses to fail and we have chosen to fight for over 4,500 workers and their families currently working with us,” Hans said.

Loading...

Join The Conversation

One Comment

  • PATRICK EMMANUEL says:

    Youwin is a transparent and productive programme and as such should not
    be suffocated by the present administration, as a citizen of this grate
    nation, i am appealling to the government of president Muhammadu Buhari
    to complete the tranches owe this awardees to enable them continue their
    good works of partnering with the government to create jobs for our
    fellow citizens, the president should overlook those who out of jealousy
    are saying the programme is not working, i for one can show more than
    five awardees i know that employ a minimum of 3 staffs each, can the
    government afford to loose such businesses at this critical time when
    the country need to employ her youths? the answer is NO!, i also have a
    friend that won the grant to produce plastic from waste nylon ie.
    plastic recycling, he has gotten his first and second tranches but cant
    commence operation, why?, because he needs the third tranche to complete
    the payment for the heavy machines needed for the operation of the
    business, can the government now afford to abandon such projects? wont
    this be a grate lose to her because of the funds already invested in the
    businesses which even happens to be higher than the remaining tranche,
    please as a concern citizen i urge the president, CBN, FMF and all
    concern bodies or individuals to give it a fast thought and find a
    reason not to allow this businesses to die, but to order for the release
    of this tranches to the concern awardees to enable them continue in
    their good work of development and employment.

  • What do you think?

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.