Saturday, February 27, 2016 10:29 pm
This against the peak of 5,074 MW achieved early February.
The crumbling output is what is being blamed by distribution companies for the prolonged blackout countrywide.
The embarrassed companies woke up today to tender apologies over the blackout.
The Eko Electricity Distribution Plc first issued a statement this morning, offering an explanation to its consumers. And now the Kano Electricity Distribution Company (KEDCO) has also appealed to its consumers to exercise patience over the drop in power allocation.
This is contained in a statement signed by the Public Relations Officer of the company, Muhammad Kandi and issued to newsmen in Kano on Saturday.
It said that current generation profile had descended to less than 3, 697 MW against the peak of 5, 074 MW achieved earlier in February.
“The Management of KEDCO hereby calls on all its customers not to panic as concerned authorities in the sector are working assiduously to address the problem”, the statement said.
The statement quoted the company’s Chief Technical Officer, David Omoloye as attributing the situation to poor gas supply to generation companies (GenCos) in the country.
“The DisCos are disturbed in the face of the current low power allocation.
“We want all power consumers including the organised labour and members of the media to help disseminate accurate information so as to create positive understanding of the power sector value chain.
“Last week Kano DisCo only received an average of 140 MW daily and this is inconsistent compared to the recent development in our daily allocation.
“This week, the situation became even worse, giving us little or no choice than to drop load as directed by the National Control Centre (NCC) to stabilise the system and thereby leading to load rationing”, it stated.
The statement assured customers that the companies were working to restore power supply to meet customers’ satisfaction..