Updated: Boko Haram bombers kill 20 in Cameroon, injure 52

Feb 19 2016 - 7:48pm

Two Boko Haram suicide bombers killed 20 people and injured 52 in a market in Meme, northern Cameroon early today, according to  updated official figures, published by  L’oeil du Sahel.

The bombing is the latest in a string of deadly attacks in northern Cameroon, an area where Nigerian militant group Boko Haram is active.

On 10 February, three Boko Haram bombers also attacked a funeral wake keep, in which they killed many people, including children.

The attack came a few days after Cameroon announced details of a major assault against a key Boko Haram base in Nigeria at the week end,  in which it  inflicted heavy losses on the Islamist group,  seized  arms and freed prisoners.

The Cameroonian army offensive took place from February 11 to 14 in Ngoshe, also spelt as Goshi, in Nigeria, some 15 kilometres (nine miles) from the northern town of Ashigashia on the border between the two countries, government spokesman and Communications Minister Issa Tchiroma Bakary said in the statement.

“162 Boko Haram terrorists were neutralised,” or killed, and two Cameroonian soldiers also died, he said.

 The minister said around 100 hostages had been released, including 15 Cameroonians, in the attack against the Boko Haram command post housing facilities for making bombs and mines.
The facilities were all destroyed.

 

Please share your thoughts in the comment box below