FG shuts firm over allegations of diversion of explosives to militants

FG shuts firm over allegations of diversion of explosives to militants

Friday, August 5, 2016 3:06 am


Kayode Fayemi, Minister in charge of solid minerals

Kayode Fayemi, Minister in charge of solid minerals

 

The Federal Government has ordered the closure of a form suspected of being the major supplier of explosives being used by Niger Delta militants to blow up oil installations.

The government alleged that explosives imported by Nigerian Development and Construction Company (NDCC) based in Koko, Delta State, were being diverted to militants to bomb oil installations and facilities.

Minister of Solid Minerals Development Dr Kayode Fayemi, in a statement by his media aide, Yinka Oyebode, said consequent upon the findings, the company has been blacklisted while its license for import opf explosives have been withdrawn.

“The development is sequel to investigations by the office of the National Security Adviser (NSA), which revealed that the company was involved in illegal diversion of about 9,000 kg of Nitro-glycerine explosives and 16,420 pieces of electrical detonators from its magazines between 2015 and 2016.”

Fayemu further warned of manufacturers, importers, sellers and end users of explosives in the country to desist from unprofessional sale, procurement, storage and use of explosives in line with the provisions of the Explosives Act of 1964, the Explosives Regulations of 1967 and other extant policy directives.

The National Security Adviser (NSA), Major General Babagana Monguno, had earlier said in Abuja that following  investigations by his office into the incessant bombing of oil facilities in the Niger Delta and discovered that commercial explosives and accessories were used for the attacks.

He said that resultant investigation and detailed audit of the records of explosives magazines and quarries in the region revealed “the diversion of about 9000kg of high explosives and 16, 420 pieces of detonators for illegal use”.

He revealed that “the actors, including the store man of a major explosives distribution company in Nigeria, an accomplice and five security operatives have been arrested and handed over to the appropriate authorities”.

Monguno added that  “investigations are being conducted and I can assure you that they are deeply culpable and the necessary action will be taken on the conclusion of these investigations,” he remarked.

The NSA however assure that the administration is committed to the wellbeing, safety and security of the Nigerian citizenry and urged members of the public and business community to do their business in accordance to laid down rules of law.

‎”Let me also reiterate that any individual or company that operations outside the confines of legitimacy or illegality will have itself to blame and we also want to add that the government of the day will not listen to any influence peddler in the society on behalf of any company that decides to sabotage national security,” he warned.

 

Loading...

Join The Conversation

What do you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.