Tuesday, November 8, 2016 11:42 pm
President Muhammadu Buhari has condoled with the government and people of Zamfara over the brutal killing of 36 miners at Gidan Ardo village of Bindin district in Maru Local Government Area of the state.
President Buhari, on his twitter handle on Tuesday, condemned the incident, saying he was being briefed by Gov. Abdulaziz Yari of Zamfara on the on-going investigations into the incident.
He gave assurance that the Federal Government would work closely with the state government to find lasting solution to the problem of armed banditry in the state and beyond.
The twitter message reads: “I commiserate with the government and people of Zamfara on the cold-blooded murder by armed bandits of 36 persons at Bindin in Maru Local Government Area.
“These killings are utterly condemnable. I am in touch with Gov. Abdulaziz Yari and being briefed on on-going investigations
“We will work with the State Government and security agencies to find a lasting solution to the problem of armed banditry in the state and region.”
The Police in Zamfara, on Tuesday, confirmed that several people were killed by gunmen suspected to be cattle rustlers at a mining site in Gidan Ardo village of Bindin district of Maru Local Government Area.
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, DSP Shehu Muhammad, who confirmed the incident to newsmen in Gusau, said investigation into the killing had just begun.
He said the Anti-terrorism Squad of the command had already been deployed to the area to join the Army in trailing the gunmen and gave assurance that they would soon be arrested.
Eye witnesses in the area said the gunmen numbering over 70 rode into the mining site at about 3 p.m. and shot anyone in sight, killing over 40 persons and injuring several others.
The gunmen were said to have carted away most of the mineral finds and also killed some of those that were in the mining pit.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that armed bandits resumed their illicit activities in full swing after period of peace following the launch of a military offensive tagged: “Operation Harbin Kunama” by President Muhammadu Buhari in July. (NAN)