Friday, January 20, 2017 8:02 am
A two-year-old boy has been reported dead following a fire incident that gutted their flat at Ojuelegba in Lagos State on Thursday.
The parents and two sisters of the deceased were also reported to had become unconscious and hospitalized as a result of the fire.
The Director of Lagos State Fire Service, Mr Rasak Fadipe, confirmed the report in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
Fadipe said that the fire incident occurred at No. 11, Atan Street, Ojuelegba, Lagos, stressing that they got call at about 6 a.m.
He said at the time they arrived at the three storey building, the first floor that was housing the victims was in flame.
“Before we got there, people in the area have been able to evacuate the family members out of the building unconscious due to fumes inhaling.
“The children: two girls and a boy of ages 8, 5 and 2 were taken to LUTH, while parents taken to a private hospital.
“Unfortunately, the boy died at the hospital. We went to see the victims at the hospital,” Fadipe said.
He advised residents against erecting burglaries that would be dangerous to the occupants of such high rise buildings.
The director also called for the installation of fire fighting equipment at homes and public places for emergency operations.