Sunday, May 14, 2017 8:03 am
The Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-corruption Commission said it has suspended its probe of alleged misappropriation of the Kano Emirate Council’s N6 billion by the Emir, Alhaji Muhammad Sanusi II.
While disclosing this on Saturday, Chairman of the commission, Muhuyi Magaji said the investigation had been suspended indefinitely because the Kano House of Assembly had begun a similar probe
According to him, the decision of the commission was in line with section 6 of the law setting up the agency.
“We could not continue as the house was also conducting an investigation. We wrote to the house seeking details about the content of their investigations.
“The reply of the letter sent to the house will determine the position of our investigation. We will brief the public of the outcome,” he said.
Kano House of Assembly had last Thursday begun a probe on the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammad Sanusi II for corruption and making political comments.
Alhassan Rirum, the Speaker of the House said the probe followed a motion raised by a member representing Nassarawa state constituency, Ibrahim Gama in which eight charges were levelled against the traditional ruler.
The allegations include defamation of character, breach of oath of office/oath of allegiance, abuse of office privileges and protocol, and political and religious interference.
Other charges are unguarded utterances, misappropriation of public funds, misrepresentation at public gatherings and undue criticism of President Muhammadu Buhari/APC-led government.
The motion was seconded by the member representing Kano Municipal constituency, Babba Dan’Agundi, and was unanimously adopted by the House.
The seven-man investigative committee probing the Emir is chaired by the lawmaker representing Ajingi constituency, Abdul Madari.
Other members of the committee include Babba Dan’Agundi, Kabiru Dachi, Sani Maidaji, Abba Garko; and two officials from the legal department of the Assembly.