Why we killed 20 kidnappers of Lagos students – Police Commissioner

Why we killed 20 kidnappers of Lagos students – Police Commissioner

Saturday, July 29, 2017 9:41 am


From left: Owoseni, Lagos Deputy Governor, the six rescued Lagos boys, father of one of the rescued boys and Ondo State governor at the press briefing

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr Fatai Owoseni, said in the course of the operation to rescue the six kidnapped Lagos schoolboys, 20 of their abductors, including the leader he identified as Bright Adeniyi, were killed because they ambushed the operatives of the marine police and civilian volunteers.

Owoseni spoke at a press conference where parents of the six kidnapped boys who are students of the Lagos State Model College, Igbonla, Epe, were reunited with their parents after more than two months in captivity on Friday evening.

20 of the abductors of the students were killed in a gun duel with the police during their rescue in the creeks of Ondo State on Friday.

According to the Police commissioner, three kidnap kingpins, including the mastermind of the pupils’ kidnap, Bright Idubo Adeniyi and a notorious militant, Oniweyi Eyelabo alias America, were killed in two operations while a civilian who was a member of the Joint Task Force, eight policemen and four members that took part in the operations were wounded.

While narrating how Police rescued the boys, Owoseni said, “This is one operation that will send fear to criminals as they will know that our governments in the South-West are committed to security and there will be no place for criminals in the region.

“The response to this kidnap was very swift. It was combination of so many factors. The abduction took place on May 25. There were a lot of things that were done underground that we did not want reported to avoid jeopardising the safety of the victims.

“The kidnappers were many in number. The person who led the kidnap was one Bright Idubo Adeniyi. Immediately after that operation, security agencies stormed into action.

“The first thing we did was to ensure that the children were not taken off the areas we could monitor. The kidnappers in three boats, tried to move the children away. In the course of doing that, they ambushed Marine Police operatives and volunteers who knew the terrain very well.

“Two of their three boats were sunk and 17 of them killed that day, including Adeniyi. The security operatives were cautious with the third boat because it had the children in it.

“The kidnappers went further with a view to frustrate efforts of security operatives and the government by attempting to attack Marine Police posts in order to steal our gunboats.

“Specifically on July 18, they ambushed a Marine Police post with a view to steal gunboat. That operation was led by ‘America’ and he died in that ambush with two others. We must tell you that the criminals launched the offensives and the government and security operatives handled everything that needed to be handled.

“We also engaged the parents. Where we needed to engage psychologists, we did. It also led to the Acting President reassuring the parents on the release of the children. I can tell you that this is one operation the criminals will know that the government is responsible and they cannot dispute whether the government has the capacity to secure its citizenry.

“We lost a civilian volunteer, while four were wounded. Eight policemen were also injured and all these people are receiving medical treatment under the care of the state government.

“So far, we have arrested one suspect who has been swindling the parents of the children.

“He was arrested in Abeokuta when he asked the parents to drop some money. I’m sure others will be arrested soon and they will face the full wrath of the law,’’ he said.

The Police Commissioner commended the South-West government for their joint efforts and support in ensuring the rescue of the students while promising that the police would not relent in its efforts to secure and protect the lives of citizens.

The freed boys are Peter Jonah, Isiaka Rahmon, Adebayo George, Judah Agbausi, Pelumi Philips and Farouq Yusuf.

Mr Moruf Ramon, whose 19-year-old son, Isiaka, was among the rescued students commended the Lagos State Government and the Nigerian Police for their efforts.

“I am so happy with what is happening today and I want to appreciate the Lagos State Government and the Commissioner of Police for all they have done to secure the release of our children.

“I have been the one talking with the kidnappers all the time and the police were always with us to get information that could help to facilitate the rescue operations.

“We pray that this kind of incident will not occur again in Lagos State or even Nigeria as a whole,’’ he said.

Mrs Beatrice Jonah, said it had been a traumatic experience for her family.

According to her, the experience is very difficult to describe as it is better imagined than experienced.

“When I spoke to my son after the abduction, I was weeping because I was afraid for his life.

“To me it has been 65 days of trauma but we thank God he is back safely,’’ she said.

The Lagos State Deputy Governor, Dr Idiat Adebule, who received the students on behalf of Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode, commended the efforts of the security agencies and the intervention of the Federal Government.

“We commend the efforts of the Nigerian Police, particularly, the Lagos Command and other security agencies for their efforts in ensuring the safe return of these children.

“We commend the Ondo State Governor and his deputy for their support and collaboration toward the rescue operation.

“We appreciate the Acting President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, for his invaluable intervention in ensuring that we have these children brought back to us,’’ she said.

Adebule said that debriefing and comprehensive medical checks would be carried out on the students to help them get over the experience.

“’Now that the children are back, the government will commence a comprehensive checkup on these children — physically, mentally and psychologically. This is very necessary.

“And in debriefing them, we will be involving other stakeholders, including their parents to ensure that it is effective.

“’We appreciate that 64 days was a long time to get these children back but it was in the interest of their safety,’’ she said.

“’As a government, we will continue to work diligently to ensure the security of lives and property in the state. It is a must for us to deliver on the issue of security.

“As for security in our schools, we are working and putting all necessary measures in place before the resumption of schools for the next session,’’ she said.

Adebule also commended the parents and families of the students for their confidence in the state government.

Gov. Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo, who accompanied the students to Lagos with his Deputy, Mr Alfred Agboola, said the Igbonla Kidnap was a major issue at the National Executive Council meeting in Abuja in June.

Akeredolu said it was also an issue at the South-West Governors’ meeting in Abeokuta, Ogun, where Ambode said there was the need for an increased joint security patrol of the riverine areas.

“We must appreciate the role of the Acting President in this matter because he was the first person that contacted us in Ondo last month. Gov. Ambode was also in touch all the time.

“We promised them that we will make efforts, but then we did not believe that these children could be in the creeks of Ondo.

“My Deputy, however, waded into the matter because he is from the creeks.

“In collaboration with the Delta Government, the Navy, Army and Marine Police, we did all that was humanly possible to secure the release of the students,’’ he said.

Akeredolu pledged to ensure increased security in his state in collaboration with others that shared borders with Ondo.

“Ondo State has Zero tolerance for crime. You cannot use our creeks as safe haven for crimes anymore,’’ he warned.

Loading...

Join The Conversation

2 Comments

  • […] Why we killed 20 kidnappers of Lagos students – Police Commissioner  The News […]

  • Real good news. We thank God they are back. We sure need to re-strategise agianst kidnapping. Kudos to our police too.

  • What do you think?

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.