One of the about 70 Boko Haram insurgents who surrendered to the Nigerian Army on Wednesday asked other members of the terrorist group to also surrender.
He spoke while Maj Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru, the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole presented the repentant insurgents to newsmen in Maiduguri.
“I am calling on other Boko Haram insurgents to lay down their arms, embrace peace and join the society,” the insurgent, who pleaded anonymity said while dismissing the group’s activities as unIslamic.
“Some of them are apprehensive of what might happen to them after they surrender.
“We thank the Army, they gave clothes, and took care of us. No harassment or maltreatment meted out to us after we surrendered,” the former insurgent said
The Theatre Commander said the insurgents surrendered voluntarily sequel to various strategies evolved by the Federal Government to end insurgency in the North-East.
“Fifty seven out of the 70 surrendered Boko Haram insurgents had been profiled.
“About 700 or more insurgents have also indicated their intention to surrender,” he said.
Attahiru added that the Federal Government had initiated a “Safe Corridor Operation” to encourage the insurgents to surrender and facilitate their integration into responsible members of the society.
The commander said that the suspects were undergoing“ level of interrogation’’ as part of the de-radicalisation process to integrate them into the society.