Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:32 pm
The mother of one of the victim, Mrs Hauwa Garuba, officials of the Bwari Area Council, Adamu Noma and chairman of the council, Musa Dikko,
The Chairman, Bwari Area Council, Mr Musa Dikko, has suspended activities at the Local Education Authority (LEA), Kubwa II school till Monday, Feb. 26 over the death of two pupils of the school.
Dikko gave this directive on Wednesday while briefing newsmen after a close-door meeting with the school authorities.
He explained that the closure became necessary so as to carry out thorough investigations into the circumstances that to the death of the two pupils, with others hospitalised.
He said the tragedy occurred when the pupils allegedly ate biscuit at a party organised by unknown persons in the school.
Dikko identified the deceased as Nehemiah Yahaya and Yahaya Garba both 14-year-old pupils of primary 5 and 4 respectively.
According to him, the unfortunate incident happened during the school hour on Tuesday, Feb. 20.
‘‘We are here because of the unfortunate incident recorded; there was an allegation yesterday that there was a party within the school organised by yet unidentified persons.
‘‘And some of our pupils had to eat the biscuit that was shared by the organiser of that party as alleged.
‘‘Presently we have a case of two pupils that are late and they are Nehemiah Yahaya who is 14 years of age in primary 5 and Yahaya Garuba also 14 years and in primary 4.
‘‘Also, we have two other cases at the hospital right now and are being attended to by the doctors,’’ he said.
The chairman also identified the two pupils at the hospital as (name withheld) who were receiving treatment at the Kubwa General Hospital.
In a similar development, a seven-year-old Moses Sunday, a primary one pupil of the same school, was also confirmed dead as a result of an alleged fight involving him and two other pupils in the school.
‘‘We are yet to know the identity but Police are in charge, the DSS are already conducting investigations to actually tell us who are these children that fought and what led to the death of Moses.
‘‘And they are also conducting investigations to confirm that the allegations are actually true and these pupils are actually from the school.
‘‘All agencies are here to confirm because we were not there when the incident occurred.
‘‘So we want to assure you that the authorities of the school in collaboration with the security agencies and the authorities of Bwari Area Council have suspended the school activities from today, Thursday and Friday.’’
Also speaking, the Divisional Police Officer, Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), Mr Ayobami Surajudeen, said the police had arrested some persons in connection with the fight.
He said investigations were ongoing to uncover what happened at the party that claimed the lives of the two pupils.
However, News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) visited the Kubwa General Hospital and discovered that the two pupils receiving treatment were in stable conditions.
Meanwhile, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Lasisi Muyideen, told NAN that the pupils receiving treatment at the hospital were not, in anyway, connected to the alleged party incident at the school.
Muyideen said one of the pupils had been ill for two weeks and the sickness was not in connection with the intake of biscuit.
‘‘Now as it is presently, we have two living girls in our custody and they are well and stable.
‘‘They are sick and actually we think that their sickness can just be like any other usual sickness as it is.
‘‘Then we have one other child who apparently was brought in that was involved in a fight and it was like an injury from the fight and he is dead,’’ he said.
NAN reports that as at the time our correspondents visited the school, no pupil was seen at the premises, except the teachers.
Stakeholders, who accompanied Dikko, were Dr Adamu Noma, Director UBEB and the Kubwa Divisional Police officer among others.