Family of five die from generator fumes in Rivers

Family of five die from generator fumes in Rivers

Thursday, August 16, 2018 12:19 am


The remains of the family as discovered on Wednesday morning

Okafor Ofiebor /Port-Harcourt
Tragedy hit Igboh Community in Etche local Government Council area of Rivers state on Tuesday morning as all members of a family were discovered dead inside their residence with speculations that they suffocated to death  from the fumes they  inhaled from their generator set.
Eyewitnesses told our correspondent that the family kept the generator which worked from Monday evening till dawn in their bathroom.
This magazine gathered that the remains of the dead family members were discovered by concerned neighbour who did not see them wake up early on Tuesday morning.
The curious neighbours, after several calls  and no response from within the the apartment, forced the entrance door to the apartment of the family opened, only to discover their lifeless bodies.
The lifeless bodies were later deposited in a morgue at Umuebulu in Etche amidst wailing by friends and neighbours of the deceased family members
The Paramount ruler of Igbo, Eze Samuel Amaechi confirmed the incident, describing as a big tragedy to the Kingdom.
He said the kingdom has started the sensitization of members of his kingdom on the dangers of locking up a Generator in an enclosure like apartment where people live.
“Yesterday I was informed that a family of five died after inhaling carbon monoxide from their generator. This is not the first time it has happened. Prior to this time we have warned to always keep their generators far away from the house if they are going to bed because Generator fumes are dangerous to the human bodies.
The Rivers State Police Command is yet to react to the tragedy.
Loading...

Join The Conversation

What do you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.