Friday, May 20, 2016 5:00 pm
Pop star Kesha will sing at the Billboard Music Awards after her record label reversed a decision to stop her performance.
This was amid concerns that she would address her failed legal bid against Sony Music and Producer Dr Luke.
Kemosabe Records, a unit of Sony Music founded by Luke said in a statement that had initially revoked approval for Kesha’s performance at awards show.
This was because it had “learned Kesha was to use the performance as a platform to discuss the litigation.’’
Kesha, 29, unsuccessfully tried to scrap her six-album recording contract with Sony Music earlier this year in court after filing a sexual assault lawsuit against Luke in 2014.
The label said; “now that Kemosabe has obtained assurances that it is relying upon Kesha, her representatives and Dick Clark Productions, that neither Kesha nor her supporters will use the performance as such a platform, the approval has been restored.’’
However, representatives for Kesha did not respond immediately.
Billboard Music Awards organisers Dick Clark Productions said in a Thursday statement that it was pleased the singer and her label had reached an agreement.
Dick Clark Productions said earlier this week that Kemosabe had rescinded approval for Kesha’s planned tribute to Bob Dylan at the live televised ceremony after a May 11 media report.
Celebrity news outlet TMZ.com, citing unnamed sources that Kesha was planning a “statement performance’’ at the awards shows that would be focused on “her ongoing legal battle with Dr Luke’’ and “might even include images of him.’’
Kesha, 29, said in an Instagram post that she had been “very excited’’ to sing “It Ain’t Me, Babe’’ as a tribute Dylan and that her performance had no connection to her legal problems with her label or Dr Luke, whom she had accused of sexual assault.
The singer’s legal case sparked the #FreeKesha campaign on social media and earned support from artists such as Taylor Swift, Adele and Lady Gaga.